Low Sulphur Fuel Change-Over eLearning
Low sulphur fuel management is required by MARPOL Annex VI. On 1st January 2015, the sulphur limit of fuel oil used by vessels within Emission Control Areas will be reduced from 1% to 0.10%. Port State Control are enforcing these limits using a variety of techniques including “Sniffing Technology” deployed on bridges and drones as well Port State Control Inspections.
Failure to comply with the regulations could result in vessel detention or prosecution. Cases have been reported of accidental contamination where a relatively small amount of heavy fuel oil commingled with low sulphur content to exceed minimum sulphur levels.
To help ensure your crew are aware of the issues involved in changing over to low sulphur fuel, Marlins have developed an eLearning course that covers:
- the rules and requirements for low sulphur fuel
- the factors to consider when planning to switch from Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO) to Marine Gas Oil (MGO)
- considerations when using low sulphur fuel
- fuel change-over procedures
- log books and record keeping requirements.